Have you lost a loved one due to death? Are you going through a divorce? Did you lose your job recently? Did you fail in reaching a personal goal? Do you need uplifting bible verses for grief?
All of these circumstances can cause you to experience grief, which is a normal phase that people go through when something sad or negative happens. You may associate grief with death, but grief is defined by anything causing deep sorrow. Grief may cause you to be depressed, physically drained, negative changes of behavior, lack of interest with socializing, and even loss of appetite.
Grief is something normal that most people will experience at some point for short seasons in their life, but others may stay in this phase longer and have a hard time moving on. According to a randomized controlled study by The JAMA Network, 30% of grievers will face a complication such as major depression, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), or complicated grief (CG).
Grieving for long periods of time can have a negative effect on you. It may cause you to vary from your usual routine, hold you back from trying new things, and cause you to stop communicating with your friends and family. In the moment it may feel impossible to get through but, with God, you will be able to overcome that pain.
Phases of Grieving
In the beginning, it can be discouraging especially when things are getting worse and worse. Grieving may even shake your faith and question God. Do not get discouraged because any grieving person will tell you they’ve been there too!
There are many accounts of grief in the Bible including when Jesus wept over the death of Lazarus. To get past the grief, it takes acceptance. It takes acceptance of the lose, of your pain, of knowing you have to move on. Healing and restoration will come after the pain.
Seek Christian counselors, write down your pain through journaling, but most importantly trust in God’s affirmations that He will be with you and restore you.
10 Bible Verses for Grief
There are many Bible verses about grief, but these 10 will help you start the process of moving through the pain that you’re experiencing. God’s Word is mighty and having Him near us will help make grief easier to face.
- “My flesh and my heart fail; But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.” Psalm 73:26, NKJV
- “He will wipe away every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death, sadness, crying or pain. All the old ways are gone.” Revelation 21:4, ICB
- “I’ve commanded you, haven’t I? Be strong and courageous. Don’t be fearful or discouraged, because the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9, ISV
- “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted” Matthew 5:4, RSV
- “He heals those who have a broken heart. He heals their sorrows.” Psalm 147:3, NLV
- “ For momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison, while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal.” 2 Corinthians 4:17-18, NASB
- “We know that in everything God works for the good of those who love him. They are the people God called because that was his plan.” Romans 8:28, ICB
- “Peace I leave with you. My peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Don’t let your heart be troubled or fearful.” John 14:27, CSB
- “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10, NIV
- “And we are not afraid but are quite content to die, for then we will be at home with the Lord.” 2 Corinthians 5:8, TLB
Keep in mind that whatever happens, God will never leave your side. All you have to do is to call unto Him and present all your pain to Him because He’s already right by our side, waiting for us to confide with Him.
Hopefully, these 10 Bible verses for grief, reminded you of God’s love for you and that He has the overall control in our lives. Don’t stop there! Continue reaching out to Him through prayers and study especially when grief seems to take over your life. There are more scriptures that can be found in the Bible to guide you and lighten up your path toward happiness.
Also, please know that another way to lighten your load is by sharing that weight with others. Reach out to your loved ones and lean on each other because, during these trying times, a strong support network with your family and friends can go a long way.
7 Christian Books About Grieving
|Walking with God through Pain and Suffering||$18.00 $15.99||View on Amazon|
|A Grief Observed||$15.99 $13.94||View on Amazon|
|It's OK That You're Not OK: Meeting Grief and Loss in a Culture That Doesn't Understand||$17.99 $14.29||View on Amazon|
|Healing After Loss: Daily Meditations For Working Through Grief||$15.99 $10.47||View on Amazon|
|Grieving with Hope: Finding Comfort as You Journey through Loss||$14.99 $8.19||View on Amazon|
|Shattered: Surviving the Loss of a Child (Good Grief Series)||$14.99||View on Amazon|
|Unshakable Hope: Building Our Lives on the Promises of God||$26.99 $13.89||View on Amazon|
Last update on 2022-05-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API